Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Dropping Out: Cosponsorship Removals for HR 362 Iran Naval Blockade

One by one, congressmen are removing themselves as co-sponsors of HR 362 -- the bill designed to authorize a "naval blockade" i.e. a military action against Iran.

Today, Congressman Tom Allen of Maine removed his name as a co-sponsor and had this to say:

“I cosponsored H. Con. Res. 362 because I believe that the Iranian regime poses very real threats to stability in the region and that it is in our national security interest to prevent Iran from obtaining nuclear weapons. However, there is language in this resolution that may imply Congressional approval of a blockade of Iran. I want to be perfectly clear about where I stand: I believe our nation should be engaging in tough diplomatic talks with Iran that will permanently dismantle that country's nuclear weapons program, and that sanctions should be part of that strategy. However, I do not support the idea of a blockade. Since the resolution has not been amended to address these concerns, yesterday, I removed my name as a cosponsor.”

Yesterday, Congressmen Steve Cohen of Tennessee removed his name.

And a few weeks ago, Congressman William Lacy Clay of Missouri removed his name.

Let's see which representative will be next to recognize that the American public doesn't want any more wars.

Labels: