Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Finders Keepers


I know it's been a few weeks since I last posted and everytime you (or I, for that matter) think I've given up this blog for bigger (or at least more pressing) things, I find myself tracking right back to it because heck, there ain't no other way for me to share my thoughts to the world at the click of a button on my terms and with my judgement and editing - oh yeah!

Yes, there have been wild and disturbing developments in world affairs since my last post -- thousands more people have died in Iraq; Condosleaze Rice has continued her war of words with a man who's had a much larger share of fun mocking her, Hugo Chavez; Bush and the US government (all of them - that's right) have continued to mock not only the decency of the American people but now even their intelligence with his efforts to rob the poor and spend the money on killing more Iraqis; and well, Americans are making a mockery of themselves by attacking Iranian interests in Iraq (uh, didn't that happen years ago when they attacked Shiite holy places in Iraq the first time?? Yes, yes it did).

But the story that has caught my attention and compelled me to share with you again is a simple but perhaps equally baffling one:

A cabbie in New York City spent a good deal of time tracking down a woman who gave him a 30 cent tip on an 11 dollar bill to return a bag of 31 diamond rings she left behind in his car. As if that's not bewildering enough, said woman troubled herself to pay him a measly 100 dollar reward for his troubles -- which he only accepted to cover the pay he lost while wasting his time tracking this stingy lady down!

His comments when interviewed? "I'm a hard worker, I enjoy my life. I'm satisfied. I'm not going to take someone else's money or property to make me rich. I don't want it that way."

Is Bangladeshi native Osman Chowdhury some kind of saint or nut (the 'nut' vote seems to be winning on this one)? A number of other questions come immediately to mind:

Would I have kept the bag? (Possibly. Probably. Seems likely, actually. At least a ring anyway)

Would I have been displeased with a mere 100 dollar reward (Definitely, and then sustained a healthy amount of bitterness for having wasted my time doing a good deed for someone who neither needed nor warranted it.)

Was this the right thing to do? (No, not really: finders keepers, losers weepers. I figure that in the final calculation of things we reap what we sow, at least, that's the kind of attitude that makes the sun shine on a cloudy day. Therefore, Mr Chowdhury was actually due those diamond rings according to the balance of things in his life and he, sadly, foolishly failed to recognize this harmony of nature. Dummy.)
Did this woman need the money from these diamond rings? (Most likely not if she could afford to lose them in the backseat of a New York taxi cab)
Is life fair? (no, which is why Mr Chowdhury should have recognized a sweetass deal when it smacked him on the head.)

Let's just hope that Mr Chowdhury does eventually get something sweet out of this whole situation -- and I'm not talking about a warm, fuzzy feeling for having done 'the right thing.' At least a reward for Good Citizenship (or citizenship itself, as the case may be).

Labels: